Friday, October 24, 2014

The Good... The Bad.... and The Ugly...

First, we'll start off with the ugly and get that out of the way...

Self-Aware (A Zombie Series With A Fresh Twist!) will not be released on Halloween, or anytime this October. Bummer, I know.



It sucks, which leads to what's Bad... I was hoping to release it this month, but the polishing/editing is taking longer than expected. I rather wait and hold off, then to release this incredible book that has such potential to be a best seller.

The Good? I'm happy to say that it's polishing very nicely, meaning that there's a lot going into this book... character development, dialog, proper emotional responses, following all the steps of the Hero's Journey, and lots and lots of zombies! I've come so far in my writing over the last five years and this book is going to show the difference/contrast from when I wrote Anica Storm & The Wand of Time to now. What's changed is I've learned how to show, more than to tell in the writing.

Example, in my old book, I would say something like: 

Anica was afraid to open the door.

(This is telling... kind of a no, no. You want to have about 90% showing and about 10% telling because sometimes you just have to say it.)


Now I would write something like:

Anica reached her hand out to turn the rustic, old door knob, but noticed her hand was trembling at the thought of what might be behind the door.

What's behind the door?!? Yikes... can you feel the tension? All I threw in there was a door knob and Anica reaching for it. It makes you want to know now, doesn't it?  :-)

Well I'm happy to say that I'm very excited to release Self-Aware to the world soon. While I'm disappointed it didn't hit the target date, I rather wait and release it when it's ready, then to half-ass it. After all, so much has gone into this book... it needs to be as perfect as possible because I'm counting on your honest reviews to let the world know Hey, check out this book! You won't be disappointed!

So that's where I'm at. If I don't talk to you before next week, I hope you guys have a great Halloween and know that Self-Aware will definitely come out in either November or December, in time for the holidays so you can cozy up next to the fire with your new kindle you got for Christmas!  :-)

PS ~ In case you're wondering what's on the other side of the door, here it is...

Anica took a deep breath and slowly let it out, as she gathered the courage to turn the handle. Using the sleeve of her shirt, she wiped off the old spiderweb and then turned the knob... but it didn't turn. Suddenly the door squeaks open as Anica's eyes widen at what's opening the door. All she can see is a dark room!

:-D

I just made that up. If you do want to read more of Anica Storm & The Wand of Time, you can find my book at www.tinyurl.com/WandOfTime ~ The first part is free, so enjoy!

Steven W.


No comments:

Post a Comment